Sunday, October 29, 2006


As the Asian and South Asian population continues to grow in BC, the need to 'keep up' with these changes is important. Your advertising plans need to change and move into directions that are going to deliver you the biggest BANG for the dollar.

Often we can look at our counterparts to the South and follow thier lead. The following posts demonstrate a growing trend. First, ethnic or 'non-English' media is growing and second, large established advertisers are coming on-board with strategic ethnic innitiatives.

Fisher Communications, Inc. Announces the Completion of Its Purchase of Seattle Television Station KWOG

Photo: Fisher Plaza in Seattle

Fisher Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:FSCI - News) today announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Fisher Broadcasting Company, has completed the purchase of African-American Broadcasting of Bellevue, Inc., licensee of television station KWOG, Bellevue, Washington, for $16 million. Fisher purchased 25% of the company on June 26, 2006, and the remaining 75% was purchased this week following satisfaction of closing conditions including Federal Communications Commission approval.

KWOG currently airs programming from ShopNBC pursuant to a programming agreement with ValueVision Media, Inc. Fisher intends to provide Hispanic programming on KWOG as a Univision affiliate beginning January 1, 2007.


Univision Finishes 2nd in NYC 6PM Local News
Photo: Univision NYC Anchor Barbara Bermudo
Univision’s New York TV station’s 6 pm weekday local news, Noticias Univision 41, has finished second in the October survey period in each of the key audience groups, adults aged 18 to 34, 18 to 49, and 25 to 54 years old.

According to Univision, in New York’s market, two 6 pm local news programs vie for the 20 percent of viewers who are Hispanic while the remaining 80 percent are targeted by four 6 pm local news programs broadcast in English.

During the October 2006 survey Noticias Univision 41 (WXTV) was watched by an average of 52,000 viewers aged 18 to 34, 158,000 viewers aged 18 to 49, and 161,000 viewers aged 25 to 54. That’s a 1.2/6, 1.7/8, and 1.9/8 in the three key audience groups, respectively. Year to year, the show’s audience is up 79 percent among those aged 18 to 34, 33 percent among those aged 18 to 49, and 12 percent among those aged 25 to 54.

Only WABC-TV Channel 7’s 6 pm news had more viewers. It’s “Eyewitness News” was seen by 55,000 viewers aged 18 to 34, 169,000 aged 18 to 49, and 217,000 aged 25 to 54.

Chase Expands Marketing to Hispanics

Chase Card Services is expanding its Hispanic marketing initiatives from only direct marketing to include Spanish-language ads on TV and online. It is also ramping up its direct mail, off-site programs such as soccer events, and events in local Chase branches.

The multi-million dollar campaign uses the tagline Confia en Ti. Confia en Chase (Believe in yourself. Believe in Chase.), writes DM News. By delivering credit card product advertising in Spanish, the company hopes to boost brand awareness and loyalty in the Hispanic market.

Hispanics are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing ethnic group, currently pegged at 43.5 million, or 15 percent of the U.S. population, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

That number is expected to reach 48 million by 2010, when purchasing power is projected to reach $1 trillion. Fewer than 45 percent of U.S. Hispanics have credit cards.
Spanish-language TV spots began airing Oct. 3 on Univision, Telemundo, Telefutura and Galavision. Online, the ads began running on AOL Latino, MSN Latino, Terra Online and Univision online.

No comments:

Post a Comment